Thursday, June 18, 2009

LIfe in the big city

Life in the big city is a little overwhelming sometimes. The only thing I really have to complain about is that there's just too much going on to keep track of it all. And then there's the hard part of weeding out the crap and actually making a decision about where to go/what to do.

Today, for example, I had such a difficult time deciding what to do that I ended up staying in bed, reading, taking a nap, surfing Yelp, looking in my new favorite guide book and perusing the Google Reader for tips on today's goings on until about 1pm when I finally left the apartment - okay okay it was actually closer to 2.30pm when I left.

I finally decided to hang out in the Castro. I walked around for a while, checked out the gays and their gay stores (they have some pretty awesome housewares shops, surprise surprise) and then hung out at this cafe called Spike's (lame website, sweet sidewalk seating) and finished my book about Motley Crue (I'm currently obsessed with band biographies, I also read Rotten, the Sex Pistols bio). I bought some gardening stuff so that I could finally re-pot this plant I bought about four weeks ago.

Four weeks. Wow. That means it's been exactly one month since I moved to SF. I love it here but to tell the truth, I miss my Nebraska friends terribly, especially Elisabeth and Conrad and Mart (who technically isn't a Nebraskan but will forever be associated with Nebraska so it counts). Even though we only knew each other for a relatively short period of time, I spent most of my free time with them. Riding bikes, boozin it up til all hours, and countless late-night meals at El Chappy's. And lest we forget the infamous Soup Nights. Oh the good ol days.

I digress. The point is SF is pretty rad but so is Nebraska. For as much crap as I gave it while I was there, towards the end I really started to understand why people like it so much and often go back there. So from now on when people start to crap on the NE, I will be there as its defender. I'll say things like, it's actually not THAT flat, the people really are THAT nice, and you know what? The Mexican food there IS more authentic than the in the Mission. So phfffffft.

However, NE doesn't have views like this:
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like it here but I look forward to meeting more awesome people and I really look forward to when the Nebraska contingent come to visit. :)

2 comments:

  1. Jennie, I really missed you today. I had an adventure to go on and I wanted you for my companion. Alas. Oh, and post-BRAN, I can vouch that Nebraska is not at all flat for 400 of the 450 miles I rode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jennie! we all miss you too. i need to get out there soon.

    ReplyDelete